Downtown Clearwater will thrive as the urban core and heart of the City, as the center of business and government, and as an attractive place to live, work, shop and play. A revitalized Downtown will be achieved through quality urban design, continued creation of a high quality public realm, and a dense and livable pattern which will strengthen the overall health of the City.
- Vision Statement, Clearwater Downtown Redevelopment Plan 2018 Update
The Clearwater Downtown Redevelopment Plan is a long-term vision for the Downtown and includes an implementation plan for achieving this vision. The City has prepared a significant update to the Plan to make existing properties and buildings more viable while still preserving neighborhood character.
CLEARWATER DOWNTOWN REDEVELOPMENT PLAN
The Downtown Plan, as adopted by City Council on March 2, 2018 and as amended on August 2, 2018 can be viewed here.
DOWNTOWN DISTRICT & DEVELOPMENT STANDARDS
The Downtown District and Development Standards as adopted by City Council on August 2, 2018 and amended on January 17, 2019 can be viewed here.
The new Downtown District in the Community Development Code achieves the following:
- Increases the Number of Uses Allowed by Right
- Streamlines Approval Process for Most Projects (Majority Approvable by Staff)
- Transitions from Use-Based Regulations to Form-Based
- Incorporates Low Impact Development Standards
- Establishes Downtown-specific sign standards