We Love our Veterans! The Tom Smith Team Salutes our greatest American Heroes. Today we join the nation in honoring our military veterans for their service to the country. We stand and salute our heroes for the sacrifices they made for our nation.
Click here to watch a History Channel Video about our Veterans. The video is 2 minutes long.
The military men and women who serve and protect the U.S. come from all walks of life; they are parents, children, grandparents, friends, neighbors, and coworkers, and are an important part of their communities. Here are some facts about the veteran population of the U.S.:
- 18.2 million living veterans served during at least one war as of 2018.
- 9 percent of veterans are women.
- 7 million veterans served during the Vietnam War.
- 3 million veterans have served in support of the War on Terrorism.
- Of the 16 million Americans who served during World War II, about 325,000 were still alive in 2020.
- 2 million veterans served during the Korean War.
- As of 2019, the top three states with the highest percentage of Veterans were Virginia, Wyoming, and Alaska.
The origin of Veterans Day can be traced back to World War I. The Armistice with Germany, which formally ended the war, went into effect at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918. That is the origin of Veterans Day.
Unlike Memorial Day, Veterans Day pays tribute to all American veterans-living or passed away-but especially gives thanks to living veterans who served their country honorably during war and peacetime.
Thank you Veterans from The Tom Smith Team!
Stephen Vincelli, U.S. Army Military Police 1988-1992